Hunger Games costumes were huge last year. Pink wigs and flowers could turn you into an instant Effie. A side braid, black clothing, and a toy bow and arrows set was all you needed to go as a recognizable Katniss.
2. Halloween 2013 is almost here, and a few short weeks later this happens
Catching Fire hits theaters in less than two months baby! Followed by Mockingjay parts 1 and 2 in November 2014 and 2015. Hunger Games costumes definitely aren’t going anywhere.
3. Heads up though, some of these are probably spoilers if you haven’t read the books
4. Up your game this year and go with a costume inspired by one of the final 2 books
5. 1. Get a black jumpsuit, some fabric paint, and the right makeup, and you can become Katniss in the Tribute Parade
If you really wanna go for it, you could paint flames on your nails. Check out this tutorial.
6. Or, you could order a top on Amazon
Dress it up with orange or red pants.
7. 2. They have a shirt for Peeta too!
And orange pants at MensWeahouse.com.
8. 2. With some white fabric, tulle, 2 corsets, hot glue, and glitter you can go as Katniss in her wedding dress
10. 3. Or rock a dress that’s mid transition into a Mockingjay
Start with an old wedding dress (or any white dress) from a thrift store. Then decorate with felt to mimic flames.
12. 4. You could go a step further and rock the burnt Mockingjay dress
13. 5. Fast forward with an all black look and rock Cinna’s Mockingjay suit
14. 6. How about President Coin? Get a gray wig and a District 13 standard issue look from a local thrift store
16. 7. Extra rope lying around? Dress like Finnick Odair at the Opening Ceremony
In the book he’s literally just wearing knotted ropes that prevent him from being fully naked. Great costume for dudes looking to take advantage of the Halloween slut rule.
18. 8. Any of the Victors in their Quarter Quarrel arena jumpsuit
21. 9. Johanna training for battle in District 13
A great look for anyone with shorter hair, as Johanna rocked a shaved head in District 13. Throw on some dark eyeshadow to make yourself look tortured, and rock a green tank, olive cargo shorts, and a throwing axe.
22. 10. Perhaps you want to be the new Head Gamekeeper?
23. Show off your attention to detail by making yourself a Mockingjay watch
“Plutarch has run his thumb across the crystal face of the watch and for just a moment an image appears, glowing as if lit by candlelight. It’s another mockingjay.”
24. 11. You could buy the exact Alexander McQueen spring 2011 dress Effie wears in the Catching Fire movie
27. For a lower cost version, buy a bunch of floral butterflies and a bag of new glue sticks
28. 12. Or go for a darker Effie when she’s reunited with Katniss at the end of the 3rd book after being held as a prisoner in The Capitol
“Polished from her metallic gold wig to her patent leather high heels, gripping a clipboard. Remarkably unchanged except for the vacant look in her eyes.”
29. 13. Gale being whipped
Perfect for dudes looking for an easy costume. All you need is a pair of old pants and some fake blood. Check out this article for tips on making your own costume blood.
30. 14. Buttercup playing Crazy Cat with members of District 13
Cat ears and a flashlight is all you really need.
31. 15. Leeg 1 and 2
These two members of Squad 451 looked so similar that Katniss could only differentiate them by checking for gold specs in Leeg 2’s eyes.